Baby proofing is one of those things that is absolutely essential when you have a new baby. Now, they may not be able to walk or crawl as soon as you bring them home from the hospital but the sooner you baby proof your home, the better, because once those little guys are on the move, there is no stopping them!
My second child was one of those that needed baby proofing sooner, rather than later. He began to crawl at just 6 months of age, walking at 10.5 months and was in to everything! Here are my 5 tips for child proofing your home and at the end we have a great Safety 1st prize pack giveaway!
5 Tips for Child Proofing Your Home:
- Keep Toys Low to the Floor in soft bins or baskets-ones love their toys and if they see something they like they will likely do anything to get it. Draw their attention to toys that are safe for them to reach and easily accessable. Do not keep toys on shelves as most toddlers will climb to reach them.
- Cover Outlets and Unplug Electronics-Many outlets can easily be covered by furniture, but make sure you cover those left exposed with plastic outlet covers such as those from Safety 1st. Also make sure no electric cords from lamps, televisions, etc. are exposed, little ones just love to go for those!
- Keep Medicines and Cleaning Products Out of Reach-Make sure all of your cleaning products and medications are out of reach and locked up properly. There are a variety of cabinet and drawer locks available to purchase and easy to install.
- Tether Large Furniture-Toddlers are known to be curious little monkeys and drawers and shelves look like great playground equipment. Make sure that all large furniture is tethered to the wall in the event of a child climbing, or other event such as an earthquake. Heavy furniture can fall and pose a grave danger to small children.
- Use Baby Gates-Stairs especially and many rooms of the house can be very dangerous to early crawlers and walkers. Use sturdy baby gates to block both the top AND bottom of stairs and any room that may be off limits to a small child.
Now, who’s wants to win a Safety 1st child proofing starter kit??? Included in the pack is:
- 4 Grip ‘n Twist Door Knob Covers
- 12 Cabinet & Drawer Latches
- 30 Secure Press Plug Protectors