My favorite part of Christmas is the “Christmas Spirit”. The warm fuzzy feeling you get from spending cozy nights with your family, watching your children’s eyes light up as they admire the tree, the twinkling in the the night from the rows of houses shining, the friendly wave of a stranger, the joyful “Merry Christmas” you get from someone…..the Spirit of Christmas is amazing!
This is the time of year for giving, not just of gifts but of patience, gratitude, and thanks. It is the time of year for helping, and celebrating. It is the time of year to be kind to everyone.
To encourage kindness and the “Spirit of Christmas” we are creating Christmas Magic! Christmas is truly magical and that magic, my friends, is created by each one of us. Every time we embody the “Christmas Spirit” and do something out of the ordinary, not for ourselves but for someone else, we are adding a little bit of Magic.
The idea is simple, really, just fill the jar with Christmas Magic! I have bought sleigh bells from the dollar store to represent this magic and each time the kids do something out of the ordinary they add a little bit to the jar.
How can you create Christmas Magic?
- being kind to a friend or sibling
- being helpful around the house
- helping a friend or sibling when they are in need
- showing compassion when someone is hurt
- leaving encouraging notes for someone to find
- sending out Christmas cards
- giving Christmas goodies to a neighbor
- giving a gift to someone who wasn’t expecting it
- delivering blessings bags to the homeless
- donating clothes
- donating toys
- picking up trash that someone left out on the street
- singing Christmas Carols
- delivering flowers or cards to a nursing home
- donating blankets to a shelter
- helping your teacher at school
- holding the door for someone
- calling or writing to an old friend
The list could go on and on…..
My children have asked me all the Christmas questions that most kids do…how do reindeer fly? how does Santa know who’s naughty or nice? The simplest answer is “Christmas Magic” and I want them to know what that Christmas Magic really is.