- 1 c all purpouse flour
- 1/4 c unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 c sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 c milk
- 2 c powdered sugar
- 1/4 c vegetable shortening
- 2 tbsp. milk
- mini marshmallows
- candy canes
1. Heat oven to 350, line standard cupcake tin with liners.
2. For cupcakes, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl.
3. In separate bowl, beat butter and sugar on medium-high until smooth and creamy. Beat in eggs and vanilla until fluffy. On low speed, beat in flour mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Fill each cupcake liner two-thirds full.
4. bake at 350 about 25 min. or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Remove cupcakes from pan and let cool
5. For Frosting: beat powdered sugar, shortening and milk with electric mixer until smooth. spread over cupcakes. Top each cupcake with 8-10 mini marshmallows. With serated knife, cut candy canes into 2 inch pieces. Unwrap candy cane pieces and insert a piece into each cupcake.
*After trying this recipe there are a few things I would have done differently:
- I would suggest making a double batch. This recipe says that it yields 12 standard cupcakes. I was able to get 12 cupcakes from the batter but they were very small. I think I’d double it and make about 18 full cupcakes.
- The baking time in the recipe is 25 minutes. I baked mine for 22 min. and they are a little over done. I would suggest trying 18-20 min. first.
- If you are in a time crunch, you could easily use a box chocolate cake mix for these and then decorate them with the frosting, mini marshmallows and candy cane pieces.