My oldest daughter had a couple pairs of jeans that she had both outgrown in length and ripped the knees out of. There was no hope of passing them down to little sister, and they still fit fine in the waist, so we decided to turn them into skirts!
You can turn old jeans into a skirt with just a few modifications.
Turning your jeans into skirts is a really simple sewing project that you can do start to finish in about 30 minutes. Here’s how:
1. Cut to desired Length and then cut up the inseam of the pant legs.
2. Cut your fabric panel. You can use any fabric you like but for a plain denim skirt we used the bottom half of the pant leg.
3. With the wrong side facing up, slip your fabric under the opening of the skirt and trace the outline.
4. Cut around the outline.
5. With RIGHT sides together, pin one side of the fabric panel. Sew.
6. Turn Skirt inside out and with right sides together, pin the other side of the panel. Sew.
7. Repeat these steps on the back side of the skirt.
8. Hem the bottom of the skirt.
See how easy that was? And now she has a cute little skirt instead of some ripped up, too short jeans!