My daughter’s school doesn’t require the students to buy a list of school supplies and instead each teacher just requests donations for the class. Since I didn’t have a list to buy solely for Wundergirl, we decided to get creative with it.
This is an idea that I originally saw on Pinterest but when I went back to find it, I wasn’t all that Jazzed about the construction. The only ones I could find used empty boxes or styrofoam for the structure and then put the supplies around it. I was looking to create a “cake” made entirely out of School Supplies. Here’s how we did it…
Thanks to our insider Mrs. B we new that Wundergirl’s new teacher uses a frog theme in her classroom. I had green satin ribbon that we decorated with Frog stickers and some Back to School scrapbook stickers. The sign “I’m So HOPPY You’re My Teacher” I made with microsoft word and printed on card stock. It is held up with a wooden scewer. Aside from that the only thing that isn’t usable supplies is the cake board.
- 3 packs of copy paper (500 sheets each)~ $3 each
- 2 boxes of tissues (half of a four box pack)~ $4
- 14 boxes of #2 pencils (8 in each)~ $0.38 each
- 14 boxes of 24 ct. crayola crayons~ $0.50 each
- 10 packs of elmer’s glue sticks (2 in each)~ $0.50 each
- 1 extra large bottle of hand sanitizer~ $4
- 1 pack dry erase markers~ $2.50
How To Assemble:
- I started with the copy paper, 3 stacked on top of each other, using clear packing tape and curling ribbon to hold it all together. I also taped the bottom of it to the cake board
- Next I used curling ribbon to stack 2 boxes of tissues on top of each other and tie together. I secured the bottom of these to the copy paper with packing tape.
- Starting at the bottom and working my way up I taped the back of the pencil boxes around the copy paper and then the crayons to the front of the pencil boxes.
- The next layer was the glue sticks. I taped the backs of these around the top tissue box, using scotch tape.
- Last, I taped the pack of dry erase markers to the bottle of hand sanitizer and topped the cake using the packing tape to secre the bottom of the bottle to the top of the tissue box.