After much debate over a Halloween costume, Pixi finally settled on one. She could not make up her mind between a cow, a dog, a cat, a bunny, or a myriad of other furry friends. Finally, she settled on an Owl for Halloween. I was super excited with this choice as I already had an idea of how we were going to make this No-Sew Owl Costume. I headed to her closet and started pulling out pieces immediately. We ended up with this adorable No-Sew Owl Costume, that cost just a few dollars to make!
My goal with the kids costumes this year was to make them comfortable. We have had so many elaborate costumes that come Halloween night, are in pieces because they are itchy or too bulky. This year I used regular clothing items, most of which we already had making this a very cost effective costume. The base of her owl is a pink cotton sun dress that her sister outgrew a year ago. For the Owl face I used a pink knit cap that I bought a couple years ago for winter in the dollar bin. I chose to make the hat instead of a mask to keep her face free. Underneath the pink dress we added a solid pink long sleeve shirt and on Halloween night we will add pink leggings (that she already owns) for some extra warmth.
Here is what you will need to make this No-Sew Owl Costume:
- Knit Cap (beanie)
- Cotton dress or long shirt
- Hot Glue
To Make the Dress:
- Cut out several triangle shaped “feathers” with your felt~I used three colors; brown, hot pink, and light pink
- With your hot glue gun, layer the felt feathers onto the dress in a pattern. Glue each row down before starting on the next row, working from the bottom up.
- Continue to glue your felt feathers all the way up the dress
To Make the Owl Hat:
- Cut one “owl shaped” face with your darkest color~this is the piece with the “horns” and it be your base.
- Cut two Large brown circles.
- Cut two medium light colored circles
- Cut two small brown circles.
- Cut a small triangle for the nose.
- Using hot glue, adhere our feathers to the knit cap, followed by the large cut piece for your owl face.
- Glue down Circles, largest to smallest, to make the eyes.
- Add the nose.
Leave a Reply