As I’m sure you are aware, at midnight last night, our government officially shutdown. Our Congress could not compromise and come to an agreement on a budget for Fiscal year 2014 by the deadline so, in effect, we have no budget. I’m sure you are all asking yourselves, now what? What exactly does that mean for me?
As a Military family, especially one that utilizes base services, you are probably wondering how the shutdown will effect you and your family. I have compiled a list of information and sources to help you through this and will update as I get more information. If you have any questions or additional information to share, I urge you to leave a comment so that we can all help each other out. As always, Military families are strong and we are united.
- Active Duty Military WILL be paid on time: Monday afternoon the Senate passed a bill, and shortly after, President Obama signed it into law, guaranteeing that our Military will be paid in the event of a shutdown. More information can be found HERE. Additionally bonuses will be limited please visit THIS article for more information on Pay and Bonuses.
- Commissaries to CLOSE during shutdown: Commissaries will remain open on Tuesday, October 1st to sell as many perishable items as possible. They will then close their doors for the remainder of the shutdown. Overseas commissaries will remain open.
- All non-essential government personnel will be furloughed: those essential to health and safety will remain.
- Exchanges to remain open
- Child Development Centers to remain open
- Youth Sports and School Aged Care offered on your military installation MAY BE closed. Please check with your local installation for more information.
- Military and VA hospitals to remain open: However, if you receive care from a military run clinic, some routine appointments may be cancelled and you should call your local installation to confirm. Those using medical providers in the private sector should see little or no effect. Tricare’s full statement can be found HERE.
- All DoDEA schools WILL remain operational: For more information please see the DoDEA Contigency Plan
- Information for VETERANS can be found HERE.
- Closures Specific to Camp Pendleton: MCCS HQ, Library, School Liaison, Semper Fit, Pools, Theater, Bowling Center, Education Center, New Parent Support Program, Career Resource center, Marine and Family Programs HQ, Deployment Readiness and Support, L.I.N.K.S., Youth Sports….To view the full list of operational facilities click HERE.
- Closures Specific to MCAS Miramar: The Great Escape, HITT Center, Pools, School Liaison, Teen Centers, Youth Sports, Readiness and Deployment Support, Lifeskills, LINKS, Family Readiness Programs, Library, Relocation Office, Transition Readiness, Career Counseling, Auto Skills Center, and Outdoor Adventure Center. Airshow that was scheduled to take place Oct 4-5th is CANCELLED.
Leave a Reply